Friday, February 26, 2016

I Have A New Job

My new job?  I've joined the volunteer staff at my church's library.  They have a nice sized collection.that serves children to adult patrons.  The collection contains more that books.  There are DVDs too.  The library staff is made up of volunteers from the parish and they open the library after the 3 Sunday services and on Wednesday evenings during the school year.  However, volunteers can come into work in the library during weekdays.  The catalog is automated and tied to the school's preschool-grade 8 library.  I was very happy to find that the automation system is Destiny - one that I'm familiar with!  I worked last Thursday from 8am to 5pm,  What did I do?  Processing book data into the computer.  I don't know if there is a materials budget, but I do know that many books are donated.  I must have entered over 100 books.  There are still 2 rolling book carts left to do!  Don't pity me! Processing books is one of my favorite tasks.

Pews & Alter at SEAS
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church or "SEAS" as parishioners call it, is a beautiful church. There are over 6000 members.  Of course, it helps that a private school is connected to the church building.  The church parish isn't very old as it was established in 1982.
One of the ministry programs offered by the church is the "Over 55 Luncheon" held every month from September through May.  A free luncheon is held every month for parishioners who are aged 55 and over in the church hall.  There is wine and appitizers before the meal. After the meal there is entertainment and door prize drawings.  The meal goes along with the monthly theme.  Since I am over 55 I have attended these luncheons.  They are very nice.  The sponsors say it is their way to pay back long time church members.
This is a very active church with many ministry opportunities.  Steve and I also belong to a group participating in the "Dinner For 8" ministry.  A multi-aged group of 8 adults meet at each other's homes to share a meal.  I have to bring the dessert.  I think I'm going to take 2 pies and some ice cream.

I finished the Murdoch Mysteries book - Night's Child - by Maureen Jennings.  I was able to give the characters a face by matching them with the characters from the TV show.  I tried to guess who the evil guys were, but I think Murdoch was better than me!  I 'm going to start reading another Maureen Jennings book - Season of Darkness.  This one is from the Inspector Tom Tyler series and takes place during WW2 in England.

I was talking to my grandson, Sam, via the phone tonight and he told me that he wanted a bike for his birthday in April.  He said, "Oma, order my bicycle for my birthday.  I want a bike for my birthday."
I asked Marie if she was putting Sam up to this and she said that she didn't know where it was coming from.  That little whippersnapper!

On this past Thursday, there was a shooter that killed 3 people and injured 14 others at the Excel Industries in Hesston, KS.  The shooter was also killed by police.  What a sad time for the people.  My thought and prayers are with them.

Well, it's getting late.  So goodnight for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment