Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Force Be With You

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would give my views of the new Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens.
I have long been a Stars Wars fan. (not a fanatic)  I was there in 1977 when the first original movie came out. I saw it 12 times!  Back then a movie ticket cost $4.00, so I was in for almost $50.00.  Big dollars for a college student with only work-study money.  Ahhh, the memories.....
I was going to marry Han Solo/Harrison Ford. Well, that didn't happen, but I still like HF as an actor.  I can honestly say that I've enjoyed most of the movies he's been in. Favorites: Indian Jones series, Star Wars series, American Graffiti, Witness, Working Girl, Cowboys & Aliens, and The Devil's Own.   I'd still marry him if wasn't for one thing - Steve.  And Ford's wife, I guess!  HAHA.

Mathison & Spielberg
FYI  Speaking of Harrison Ford; his 2nd wife, Melissa Mathison, was Oscar nominated for the original screenplay of Steven Spielberg's E.T: The Extra Terrestrial and also wrote the screenplay for The Black Stallion. Sadly, she passed away in 2015. They were married from 1983-2004.

Back to the latest Star Wars movie....  I was thrilled to see the old trio - Luke, Leia, & Han - back together again.  One of the things that I noticed was that this latest story line very closely mirrored the 1977 plot.  That was a sad realization - I expected so much more.  Viewers who might not be familiar with the first movie might not notice the little references to prior SW movies. For instance, the hologram game on the Falcon (played by 3CPO & Chewie), the cantina band (similar song), the girl lounging against the creature at the entrance to the space bar (Jabba & Leia), the desert planet (Luke's home planet), battle to shut down the Empire's weapon core, and Han and Chewie running down the death planet's hallways (like on the Death Star).  And why did it have to be another death star the Rebel Alliance has to shut down?!?  Couldn't the writers think of something else?
I was also dismayed that Princess/General Leia looked so old.  I know the actress Carrie Fisher has had some rough times, but really there's such a thing as make-up.  Of course it's been 30 years and didn't expect a slim, trim & petite Leia (look at me). I just think her close-ups could have been handled better.  SPOILER ALERT - I was sad to realize that she and Han had separated and their son, Ben, was a Sith. I just know that Leia and Han still loved each other to the end, I'm predicting that Rey is Luke's daughter. I wasn't happy with the Han ending either.

On another note, I am pleased to report that a Cardinal bird couple have been visiting our home lately. They don't stay very long because the dogs scare them away, but they have been here several times.  I just smile and say, "Hi, Mom!  Thanks for stopping by today."

I hope this day finds you happy and healthy....




No comments:

Post a Comment