Thursday, February 4, 2016

International Book Giving Day

Instead of giving candy on St. Valentine's Day, give something sweeter - books!  February 14th is International Book Giving Day!
Or take your little Valentine to MacDonald's for lunch or dinner.  I read on FB that from now until February 15, you will get a book as the toy in a kid's meal.

Dustan & Dylan
I'd like to wish our nephews a Happy 21st Birthday!  Dustan lives and works in Iowa and Dylan is in the US Air Force.  He has been deployed to the Middle East.  They are the sons of Steve's brother, Doug.

While I was in Georgia I wrote down some recipes from the cookbooks Tim bought to find recipes for Dad.  Since I've been home I've tried a few of those recipes.  Steve has been my quinea pig eating delicious dishes made to share for supper.  I tried to pick recipes that contained items Steve would eat.  This has been no easy task.  Steve declines to eat potatoes, rice, pasta, mushrooms, or white bread.  Or eating only small amounts of such. (except mushrooms!)  Of course, it's easy to switch brown or wild rice for white rice.  So far we've enjoyed "One Dish Chop Suey," "Scalloped Potatoes & Ham,"  and Sharon's Chicken & Rice Dish."  Since I didn't reduce the serving sizes, we have leftovers!  Tonight is "Leftover Night."  There's really only scalloped potatoes & ham and chop suey left to finish up.  The chicken & rice dish and the chop suey were my favorites,

sopa de feijao
Speaking about recipes, when I was in Georgia, Laura made a delicious Brazilian soup made with beans, hamburger meat, potatoes and noodles.  I so like bean soup! And ham and cornbread.  FYI: Steve does not.
Laura is a good cook.  Tim and Dad are lucky to have her there to assist with meals.  She says the cuisine of her homeland of Brazil uses a lot of beans, rice and fresh fruit.  She also makes a mean fruit smoothie!

I hope my friends and family in Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska have dug out of their snow piles.  I know there was no school for 2 days in some parts of Iowa.  What a blizzard!  The weather in north western Kansas had blizzard weather too.  We had no snow here in south eastern Kansas - just heavy winds.  All is not lost - Punxsutawney Phil the ground hog DID NOT SEE his shadow on February 2nd, so spring is on its way!




Enjoy your day. Until next time.....





No comments:

Post a Comment