Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snowy Georgia Saturday

   Snow started falling last night and is still going.  Not like the mid-west US, but softly drifting flakes falling down from the grey, partly-cloudy sky.  Poetic, right?  It's very cold outside - feels like 12 degrees.

   Well, week 1 is done and now to start week 2.  I've learned a lot about healthy eating as my job as meal planner and chef for a diabetic with a low sodium diet.  And for the most part I have been following the same meal plans.  Each meal has 50% fruits & vegetables, 25% grains/starches and 25% protein.  Following the rules can be tricky when you're used to meat and potatoes every meal!  I can't wait to try out some new recipes on Steve when I get home.  I haven't eaten any 'treats' because there aren't any here!
   As Tim says: use fresh ingredients first, then frozen, and lastly canned.  Dad CAN NOT eat processed food, fast food, or salty foods.  Good-bye Micky D's, Colonel Sanders, Pizza Ranch, and Golden Corral, to name a few. It really is amazing what food items contain salt,  And I have to look for low/no sugar items too!  We are getting into a routine of what to eat. I won't bore you with menus, but I have become a creative cook!

   OK. Looked it up.  WHO KNEW!!!  
13 foods that might surprise you with high sodium content:

  1. sauces/marinades/dressings
  2. cottage cheese
  3. cereal
  4. bagels
  5. baked goods
  6. soups
  7. "reduced salt" foods
  8. veggie burgers
  9. hot chocolate
  10. pancakes
  11. frozen veggies in sauce
  12. sandwiches
  13. chicken breasts [raw]

   Dad received 3 care boxes from Trudy the other day.  They were full of western genre books and appropriate snacks.  We now have a "Stan's Snack Sack" full of treats just for Dad.  [Thanks, Trudy]

   I think I'm going to make my walk/step goal this week!  I've been over daily goal most of the week.  I'll have to write 2 blogs today to meet my blog goal.  Tim doesn't have internet at his house.  Like I said before, I'm using my cell phone as a personal hot spot.


 
    I'm ending for now.  Be looking for my next blog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment