Wednesday, January 27, 2016

There's no place like Home

  I am counting down the days until I go home. It's 3 days, BTW.  I like to travel, but 2 weeks is about my limit.  I think it is the same with all people.  It's great to travel but it's nice to go home.
  It's been great to visit Tim, Dad, and Laura in GA. I've probably seen those 3 more in the 2 weeks I have been here than I have in 5 years all together. Time has a talent for getting by us.  We all enjoyed looking over pictures of when Tim was little.  I'm sure Tim will miss when I'm gone!
  The weather here hasn't always been pretty.  The sun tried to peek out on this very dreary, damp day.  Rain is in the forecast for several days.  But, HEY!, I'm not in the mid-west or north-east with it's cold and snow!

  I finished 3 books and am now on the 4th.  I very much enjoyed Patrick Taylor's An Irish Country Girl.  Much of the story is based on Irish mythology. The story begins with Christmas Day in 1964 with flashbacks to Maureen O'Hanlon's childhood from 1922-1929 in County Cork, Ireland.
Maureen's skill at storytelling, her belief in the Sidhe and her own fey powers are interwoven with the themes of loyalty and betrayal, love and hatred, and life and death.  I also perked up at the recounting of Irish history.  After having been to Ireland, and especially Dublin, I well know some of the people and places mentioned in the story. The author's own love and interest in Irish myths is evident with the simple, yet knowledgeable way he describes the psyche of the Irish mind and heart,.  Also included are several Irish recipes, a glossary of the translations of expressions used in County Cork, and glossary of Irish names and pronunciations.  If you're hooked on Irish myths and want a good story too, this book is for you.  Taylor's other "Irish Country" books take place in Ulster (Northern Ireland).

   My blog seems short for today.  Until we meet again.....







No comments:

Post a Comment