Saturday, March 5, 2016

I've Died And Gone To Heaven!!!

There is a DAV Thrift Store in Wichita that sells nothing but BOOKS! (and DVD's, CD's & some magazines)  On the first Saturday of the month all their books are 3 for $1.00!  That includes hardbacks, paperbacks, vintage, fiction, non-fiction, spirals, color books - you name it!
I went there today and ONLY spent $20.00!  Yes, that equals 60+ new-to-me books!  I did buy some books for the church library and my Dad, BTW.  :)  I was able to get 11 books to add to my Newbery & Caldecott collections  = less than $4.00.  The books are in pretty good condition, too!
Regularly books sell for $2.00 for hardbacks and 20-50 cents for paperbacks.  There are shopping carts for you pleasure. (Imagine that!)  I saw several cart loads of books leaving the building.
I only got through 2 rooms before Steve told it was time to go. There were 2 other rooms AND a warehouse.  Steve said the warehouse was full of tables loaded with boxes of books plus boxes below the tables!  Like I said, I never did get to the warehouse.  :(  One of the cashiers told me that sometimes there are people waiting for them to unlock the doors so that they can get in.  Almost like a Book Black Friday!

I was also able to purchase a 25th anniversary promotional brochure about John Denver (1943-1997).  It contains pictures and facts about him.  I regret to this day not going to see him in concert in 1975 in Sioux Falls, SD.  It cost only $8.00!  What was I thinking?!?  Hey, Loren, why didn't we go to that concert?  I really miss JD's music.  He made some good movies too.  I always liked to watch PBS on TV when they did their money donation marathon because one night they would feature John Denver.

I'd like to give a shout out to my cousin Sandy in IL!  Thanks for reading my blog.  I always like to hear from people who enjoy the blog or who have a comment.

Tomorrow I work in the church library after the first church service (8:30 am until 9:00 am) then Steve and I will go out for breakfast probably at Jimmy's Egg on West Street.  The West Street J's E diner is Steve's favorite one in all of Wichita.  We go there so often that they know us!

Well, here's my final thought.  Have a special day until we meet again!




No comments:

Post a Comment