Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Luck of the Irish

Anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy celebrating Saint Patrick's Day, Irish culture, and being Irish!  So I'm starting my 17 Days of Irish Love - TODAY!
When I had my DNA analyzed it came back 14% Irish. Ireland is one culture group that makes up the Celts.   Celtic heritage takes in ancestors from Ireland, Cornwall-England, Isle of Man, Brittany-France, Scotland, Wales, and Galicia-Spain.  I also have genetic traces from Great Britain (7%), Iberian Peninsula (8%) and Western Europe (62%).  
Of course, Steve probably has more Irish blood than me,  He can trace his GGG-father Patrick Boyle to Strabane-County Tyrone-Ireland who married Alice Boyle from Ardee-Couthy Louth-Ireland.
Steve and I were so lucky to visit both Ardee and Strabane when we were in Ireland last year.  We had such a grand time on the green isle!

I already have St. Patrick's Day decorations up around the house. This week I'll mail out my SP'sD cards. Now I need to get the green and orange clothes and the shamrock designed socks out!  I always try to wear both green and orange because the Republic of Ireland has green, orange and white in it's flag.  Of course, Northern Ireland or Ulster flies the British flag.  I'll have my usual Irish Supper complete with potato soup, soda bread, rasher, cabbage and whiskey or Bailey's Irish Cream.  Want to come?


Miss Shamrock 1979
Every year Emmetsburg, Iowa, celebrates its Irish heritage with a St. Patrick's Day week-long celebration. The city was given the name "Emmetsburg" in honor of Irish patriot Robert Emmet.  The celebration has been going on since 1961.
The St. Patrick's Miss Shamrock Pageant is held on the Sunday before the celebration week and is open to area high school women. This pageant is a gateway to scholarships and further competition in the Miss Iowa and Miss America pageants.  
Back in 1979 my youngest sister, Trudy, competed in the pageant and was crowned Miss Shamrock. Trudy went on to compete in the Miss Iowa Pageant. (Look at the size of that trophy!)
Miss Shamrock represents Emmetsburg and the St. Patrick's Association in area parades.
For more info about Emmetburg's Celebration go here:  http://www.emmetsburgirishgifts.com/st_pats_events.htm



Well, my final thought for the day....


  

No comments:

Post a Comment