Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rocky Mountain High!

There's a lot of news to share with you all....
Yes, I made it to Colorado.  Finally!  It's always such a long trip from Kansas to Colorado.  I keep in touch with Steve via texting and phone calls along the way (not while I'm driving, of course!)  When I saw the mountains, I texted Steve.  He was jealous.  I got here after dark and the traffic was terrible!  It was bumper-to-bumper with frequent stops.  When I arrived at Marie & Jeff's house, Lynne's fiance had already left for his bachelor party in Denver.  I got see him on Sunday.

On Saturday we did indeed go to the St. Patrick's Day Parade!  The day started out chilly but really warmed up in the afternoon.  Lucky Joe's, a pub here in Ft. Collins, sponsored the parade.  A pipe band started the almost 100 units in the parade rolling down the street! There was a huge Guinness truck, Irish dancers, military patrols - you know, the usual.  When we arrived for the festivities, Sam commented, "Mama, there's a lot of green here!"  The Mountain View Christian Church served free coffee, hot chocolate, and cookies to parade-goers.  They even opened up their restrooms for the public.  Jeff's parents (Marie's husband) joined for the morning activities.

On Sunday, I drove to Longmont, CO, to meet up with Dave so he could pick up Lynne and head back to NM.  Later that evening I, along with Marie and her family, were supper guests of Jeff's parents in Loveland, CO,  I enjoyed a tour of their new home. (It's beautiful!)  They have a nice little backyard, too.  We were treated to an Irish supper of corned beef brisket, cabbage, boiled potatoes, and apple pie with ice cream.  Jim and Julie have recently moved to CO from Nebraska.  Little Sam goes to Nana and Bumpa's house every week for the day.  Jim and Julie met while students at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.

On Tuesday, I joined Jeff's grandparents, James & Harriet, for coffee at their usual kaffe klache spot in FC.  They and a number of their friends gather on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I look forward to meeting with them.  Whenever I am in Fort Collins, I try to attend one  (or more) of their get-togethers.   I have been sharing fellowship with the group for about 5 years.  There's one fellow, Earl, who grew up in Iowa.  He calls me, "that Iowa girl."  I guess I get to be the "girl" or "young lady" because I am the youngest! (They are all older than me.)  Many of the group members have retired in CO from other states.  Sometimes the face and name changes, but that's the fun of it.  And they have the best stories!

I told Steve that I was heading home on Saturday or Sunday.  There's 31 degrees and snow predicted for Friday in Fort Collins followed by more cold temps, but sunny on Saturday.  The sun should help to melt the snow.  It's supposed to get up to 51 degrees in Wichita on Saturday.

Don't forget to wear your green tomorrow!










No comments:

Post a Comment